§ Ms Corston
To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security if he will give(a) the mean income, at April 1993 prices, of those receiving invalidity benefit, (b) the mean income of those in the poorest two quintiles receving invalidity benefit and (c) the numbers of households in the family expenditure survey to which (a) and (b) separately apply, and the numbers in the population as a whole which these categories represent, on the basis of the latest households below average income analysis, for 1979 and 1990–91.
§ Mr. Burt
The information is in the tables.
Average equivalised household income of reported in validity benefit recipients (£per week, April 1993 prices) Income group of total population Before housing costs After housing costs 1979 1990–91 1979 1990–91 1st quintile 99 105 81 84 2nd quintile 133 152 113 127 All IVB recipients 141 196 122 178
1. IVB recipients include all individuals in benefit units where someone reports receipt of IVB.
2. Average income for all IVB recipients is mean income; for quintile groups median income is used.
3. The quintile averages quoted are the median incomes of IVB recipients in the relevant quintile of the population income distribution.
4. All estimates subject to sampling error.
5. The quintile group results cannot be interpreted as indicating changes in the incomes of IVB recipients; they reflect movements in and out of each overall quintile, as well as changes within a quintile.1011W
Numbers of Households in ungrossed FES with reported receipt of invalidity benefit (sample cases) Income group of total population Before housing costs After housing costs 1979 1990–91 1979 1990–91 1st Quintile 69 107 69 104 2nd Quintile 46 173 40 161 All IVB recipients 167 521 167 521
1. The figures show the number of households in the FES sample where at least one member reported receipt of invalidity benefit. Quintile groups refer to the whole population income distribution.
Numbers of reported IVB recipients within population income groups (000's) Income group of total population Before housing costs After housing costs 1979 1990–91 1979 1990–91 1st Quintile 460 460 460 450 2nd Quintile 330 570 300 540 All IVB recipients 1,130 1,940 1,130 1,940
1. The populations given are numbers of individuals in benefit units in receipt of IVB. Quintile groups refer to the whole population income distribution.
2. Estimates of IVB recipients are based on reported receipt in the Family Expenditure Survey and will be subject to sampling error.
§ Mr. Bradley
To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what were the number and proportion of invalidity benefit claims in 1992–93 lasting(a) up to six months, (b) six months to one year, (c) one to two years and (d) over two years, broken down by (i) age, (ii) sex and (iii) region.