§ Mr. McAllion
To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland if he will list all those services or functions contracted out in his Department and Agencies, since November 1991, in which the Transfer of Undertakings (Protection of Employment) Regulations 1981 were not applied.
§ Mr. Lang
Whether or not the Transfer of Undertaking (Protection of Employment) Regulations 1981 apply in any particular case will depend on the nature of the work awarded and the contractors' own proposals for carrying out the work. Since publication of the "Competing for Quality" White Paper, the Scottish Office's market testing programme has included the activities listed which have been contracted out under contractual arrangements which did not incorporate the TUPE regulations.
Functions contracted out by the Scottish Office and Scottish Office agencies
- Property management at the Scottish Police College
- Toll collection at the Erskine Bridge
- Maintenance and management of Court Houses (five contracts)
- Building and Planned Maintenance for the Scottish Fire Service Training School
- Property management at the Marine Laboratory, Aberdeen
- Audit of two national health service bonds
- Audit of three national health service trusts
- Professional services relating to the Secretary of State's
968 trunk road programme and the capital building programmes, of the Scottish Prison Service
- Scottish Agricultural Science Agency, Animal House
Information on services and functions contracted out since November 1991 but not included in the market testing programme could be provided only at disproportionate cost.