§ Mr. Ieuan Wyn Jones
To ask the Secreetary of State for Wales if he will list the independent schools in Wales which currently have fewer than 50 pupils; and which of those schools have registered as children's homes under the Children Act 1989.
§ Sir Wyn Roberts
Under the Children Act 1989, independent schools which provide accommodation for 50 or fewer children are required to be registered as children's homes unless they are approved to take children with statements of special educational needs under Section 11(3)(a) of the Education Act 1981. A list of such schools in Wales is set out as follows:
Independent schools providing accommodation for 50 or fewer pupils and which are not approved under section 11(3)(a) of the Education Act 1981
- The Cathedral School, Cardiff
- Howells School, Cardiff
- Emmanuel School, Swansea
- Netherwood School, Saundersfoot, Dyfed
- St. Clare's Convent School, Porthcawl
- St. John's School, Porthcawl
- St. David's Ursuline Convent School, Brecon (to re-open as St. Davids School from I September 1993)
Their registration as children's homes is a matter for local authority social services departments.