HC Deb 23 July 1993 vol 229 cc501-2W
Mr. Hood

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland if he will make it his policy that fluoridation of drinking water should require the consent of the elected representatives of the population concerned.

Mr. Stewart

Under the Water (Fluoridation) Act 1985, water authorities may increase the fluoride content of public water supplies on the application of health boards. As regards the future composition of water authorities, my right hon. Friend has at present nothing to add to paragraphs 3.21 to 3.24 of the White Paper "The Structure of Local Government" published earlier this month.