HC Deb 06 July 1993 vol 228 c124W
Mrs. Dunwoody

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what is the income per week of a single 18-year-old, who is paying £30 per week rent and who is(a) a student and (b) unemployed; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Burt

On the assumption that insufficient contributions had been paid to give title to unemployment benefit, a lone, unemployed 18-year-old with a rent liability of £30 per week would normally be entitled to income support of £34.80 per week and would, through housing benefit, receive up to 100 per cent. of his rent, less any ineligible items. This equates to about £64.80 per week.

An 18-year-old following a full-time course of higher education, but otherwise in the same circumstances, would not normally be eligible for income support of housing benefit but would receive support through the educational maintenance system. During the period of study, the standard maintenance grant outside London, for the coming academic year, equates to £59.60 per week over 38 weeks, with income available from the full-year student loan of £15.38 per week. This equates to about £74.98 per week.

In addition, if a student in higher education faces particular financial difficulties he may be able to receive assistance from the access funds. The access funds are administered on a discretionary basis by the educational establishments.

It is not possible to estimate students' income during the long vacation because some students will find work during that period.