§ Mr. Meacher
To ask the Secretary of State for Employment to whom each of the executive non-departmental public bodies sponsored by his Department is responsible; whether the public bodies or their members in each case are subject to(a) surcharge, (b) investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner, (c) scrutiny by the Audit Commission or National Audit Office, (d) the statutory provisions for open Government which apply to local authorities, (e) performance indicators and (f) provisions under the citizens' charters; and whether the chairpersons and members of the boards of each of these bodies are required to declare an interest.108W
§ Mr. Michael Forsyth
The following executive non-departmental public bodies are sponsored by this Department:
- Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service
- Commissioner for the Rights of Trade Union Members
- Construction Industry Training Board
- Engineering Construction Industry Training Board
- Equal Opportunities Commission
- Health and Safety Commission
- Health and Safety Executive
- National Council for Vocational Qualifications
- Remploy Ltd.
- Wages Councils
- Women's National Commission
With the exception of the special arrangements which exist in relation to the Health and Safety Commission and Executive, all are responsible to my right hon. Friend the Secretary of State.
The Health and Safety Commission is responsible to my right hon. Friend and other Secretaries of State which have a relevant interest, and the Health and Safety Executive is responsible to the Commission.
- (a) These bodies and their members are not subject to surcharge;
- (b) The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service, Commisioner for the Rights of Trade Union Members, Equal Opportunities Commission, Health and Safety Commission and Health and Safety Executive are subject to investigation by the Parliamentary Commissioner as they come within the ambit of schedule 2 to the Parliamentary Commissioner Act 1967, as amended;
- (c) the bodies either subject their accounts to full audit by the Comptroller and Auditor General, head of the National Audit Office, or, in the case of the National Council for Vocational Qualifications and Remploy Ltd., provide him with access to their books and records;
- (d) none of these bodies is subject to any statutory provisions for open government which apply to local authorities;
- (e) performance indicators are agreed as part of the normal departmental planning process; and
- (f) citizens charter provisions are agreed where appropriate.
No register of interests is kept by the Department.