HC Deb 17 February 1993 vol 219 c231W
188. Ms. Walley

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department under what circumstances he would seek an independent inquiry into aspects of tendering procedures undertaken by chief constables.

Mr. Charles Wardle

In exceptional circumstances my right hon. and learned Friend may choose to exercise his residual power under section 32 of the Police Act 1964 to cause a local inquiry to be held. Anyone who believes that a police authority or a chief constable has acted improperly or unlawfully may bring legal action against them in the same way as they would against any other body.