HC Deb 03 December 1993 vol 233 cc752-3W
Mr. Pike

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what representations he has received in the last three years in relation to housing problems in England(a) from local authorities, (b) from housing associations and (c) from other sources; and if he will make a statement.

Sir George Young

My Department regularly discusses housing problems and successes with local authorities, housing associations and others. We value their contribution to policy development. Local housing authorities discuss their strategies and expenditure priorities each year with Ministers and with departmental officials as part of the annual housing investment programme resource allocation process; developing housing associations have similar discusions with the Housing Corporation. Twice a year I discuss local authority housing issues with representatives of the local authority associations in the Housing Consultative Council. In addition, we receive responses to consultation papers, and there is a wide range of formal and informal contact with local authorities and housing associations, and with Members of Parliament, members of the public, voluntary organisations and the private sector.

Forward to