HC Deb 23 April 1993 vol 223 c231W
Ms Lynne

To ask the Secretary of State for Health what information disturbed adolescents, who have had their liberty restricted, receive on their rights to judicial review.

Mr. Yeo

The form in which such information is made available is a matter for individual local authorities. A local authority wishing to keep a child in secure accommodation beyond 72 hours must seek the authority of the court. A child is entitled to be legally represented when such applications are considered and has a right to apply for legal aid for such purposes. The Department's guide for children and young people "The Children Act and the Courts" explains the arrangements for placing children in secure accommodation and their right to legal representation.

Back to
Forward to