§ Lord Houghton of Sowerby
asked Her Majesty's Government:
In what respects has the Iraqi Government failed by refusal or default to comply with the terms of the cease-fire agreement.
§ Baroness Chalker of Wallasey
Iraq is flagrantly defying the authority of the United Nations across the hoard, including the mandatory requirements of United Nations Security Council Resolution (SCR) 687, which established the cease-fire. In particular they have:
- harassed United Nations inspectors on searches for weapons of mass destruction;
- repeatedly obstructed and deceived the Special Commission/IAEA inspections of nuclear, chemical and biological weapon and missile facilities;
- failed to agree to the full and final disclosure to these weapons programmes and to a system of long-term monitoring (under SCR 715);
- continued to detain Kuwaiti and third country nationals;
- failed to return all looted Kuwaiti property; and
- refused to co-operate with the Iraq/Kuwaiti Boundary Commission, ever repeating the claim that Kuwait is part of Iraq.