HC Deb 03 November 1992 vol 213 cc124-5W
Mr. Allen

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what equivalent categories exist in each of the EC countries to the exceptional leave to remain status in the United Kingdom.

Mr. Charles Wardle

Exceptional leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom outside the immigration rules is granted where there is no provision within the immigration rules to grant an application but in all the circumstances it would not be reasonable to refuse it. In the case of applicants for asylum, most EC states have provision for the granting of B status of "de facto" refugee status to applicants who do not fall within the terms of the United Nations refugees convention but have other humanitarian reasons to be allowed to remain.

Forward to