HC Deb 02 March 1992 vol 205 c43W
Mrs Golding

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what provision exists for homeless people to register; what guidance has been given to electoral registration officers; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Kenneth Baker

Under the Representation of the People Act 1983, in order to be entitled to vote a person must be resident at an address in a constituency or electoral area on the qualifying date of 10 October, and must be registered there as an elector. The question of whether someone can be regarded as resident for registration purposes is determined not by the nature of the accommodation but by the permanence of his or her residence at a particular place. No guidance has been issued to electoral registration officers on registering homeless people.