HC Deb 15 June 1992 vol 209 c365W
Mr. Riddick

To ask the Secretary of State for Education what is(a) the total amount for the United Kingdom and (b) the average amount per student of local education authority payments on behalf of students to further and higher education institutions to pay the students' membership fees of student unions.

Mr. Forman

In general, campus unions are not funded by membership fees but by block grant from their parent institutions. In higher education institutions, block grant is paid out of general funds including funding council grant and fees. In further education. the block grant is usually derived from an element within the student registration fee.