HC Deb 15 July 1992 vol 211 c777W
Mr. Cox

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what procedure is followed by his Department when a prison inmate requires urgent hospital or medical treatment with a trust hospital and the inmate had no permanent abode prior to being sent to prison; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Peter Lloyd

When a prisoner needs to be taken for treatment to an outside NHS hospital, arrangements are made by the prison doctor. The costs of such treatment, whether provided by an NHS trust hospital or by a hospital which continues to be directly managed, fall ordinarily to the prisoner's district health authority of origin. Where this cannot be determined, they fall to the district in which the offence or alleged offence was committed.

Forward to