HC Deb 15 July 1992 vol 211 c845W
Mr. Cohen

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment whether he proposes to advise local authorities to deduct outstanding community tax arrears directly from income support so as to avoid the expense of committal proceedings.

Mr. Robin Squire

It is for individual authorities to decide on the most appropriate method of recovering arrears of community charge and council tax. We believe authorities should consider methods of recovery such as attachment of earnings or deductions from income support in preference to distress as an initial enforcement option; and we have so advised in our practice note, "Recovery and Enforcement of Council Tax".