HC Deb 03 July 1992 vol 210 cc712-3W
Mr. Mackinlay

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what action he proposes to prohibit the use by organisations of the highway outside residential properties for displaying second-hand cars for sale.

Mr. Baldry

Use of the highway to sell vehicles commercially may constitute a business activity and require specific planning consent. The responsibility of controlling breaches of planning control rests with local planning authorities, which must decide in each case whether it is in the interests of good planning in their areas to take action against development in breach of planning controls. The Planning and Compensation Act 1991 has provided planning authorities with a range of new enforcement measures for dealing effectively and speedily with such breaches.