§ Mr. Anthony Coombs
To ask the Secretary of Stale for Education and Science what senior appointments he expects to make to the Further Education Funding Council for England and the Higher Education Funding Council for England to be established under the Further and Higher Education Bill[Lords].
§ Mr. Kenneth Clarke
Subject to the passage of the Further and Higher Education Bill, we intend to make the following appointments.
For the Further Education Funding Council for England:
- Chairman: Mr. Robert Gunn, former Chairman of the Boots Company plc; and
- Chief Executive: Dr. William Stubbs, currently Chief Executive of the Polytechnics and Colleges Funding Council (PCFC).
For the Higher Education Funding Council for England: 668W
- Chairman(as already announced): Sir Ron Dearing, currently Chairman of the PCFC; and
- Chief Executive: Professor Graeme Davies, currently
- Chief Executive of the Universities Funding Council.
These will be strong teams to help steer the two new councils in funding the effective expansion of both further and higher education.
In advance of these appointments, Dr. Stubbs will he seconded to the Department to help prepare for the new further education funding arrangements. Professor Davies is therefore being appointed also as chief executive of the PCFC.