HC Deb 16 January 1992 vol 201 c623W
Mrs. Roe

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Science what information he has on the comparative levels of remuneration for medical researchers in(a) the United Kingdom, (b) the rest of the EC and (c) the United States of America; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Alan Howarth

My Department does not hold details of the levels of remuneration of medical researchers employed by United Kingdom private companies or charities; nor does it have such information covering medical researchers in the rest of the EC or the United States of America. The pay scale for researchers in universities in the United Kingdom extends from £12,129 to £30,447, although some clinical academic staff are linked to national health service scales which range from about £17,000 to £40,000. Clinical academics holding consultant contracts are also eligible for NHS distinction awards.