HC Deb 10 February 1992 vol 203 c360W
Mr. Nicholas Winterton

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security if he will make a statement on the assistance which is available from his Department to assist young orphans with the cost of the provision of the funerals of their parents.

Mr. Scott

An adult who receives income support, family credit, housing benefit or community charge benefit, and who is responsible for arranging a funeral, will be entitled to a funeral payment from the social fund. A young orphan would not be entitled in his own right because he could not receive any of the qualifying benefits.

Forward to