HC Deb 14 October 1991 vol 196 cc51-2W
Mr. Redmond

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security if he will ensure that British pensioners living abroad have their pensions indexed and uprated in the same way as those who live in the United Kingdom; and if he will make a statement.

Miss Widdecombe

United Kingdom pensioners living in 32 overseas countries receive annual pension increases under the provisions of either the European Community's social security regulations or reciprocal social security agreements which permit such increases to be paid. We have no plans to extend payment of these increases to all United Kingdom pensioners worldwide. To do so would cost an additional £337 million a year at April 1991 rates of benefit.