HC Deb 22 November 1991 vol 199 cc320-1W
Dr. Godman

To ask the Attorney-General if he will list the statutory provisions which set out the circumstances in which a person serving overseas with the United Kingdom armed forces or a member of the family of such an individual may raise a civil action in an English court concerning a criminal offence committed in a place outwith the United Kingdom; and if he will make a statement.

The Attorney-General

By virtue of the Civil Jurisdiction and Judgments Act 1982, which gives effect to the Brussels convention on jurisdiction and the enforcement of judgments in civil and commercial matters, persons in another EC member state, including members of our armed forces, may sue in an English court in respect of any wrongful act done to them, whether or not it constituted a criminal offence, if the defendant is domiciled in England and Wales.