HC Deb 15 March 1991 vol 187 c713W
Mr. Meale

To ask the Secretary of State for Defence what is the Government's policy regarding the funding of any adaptations to injured armed forces personnel's homes and any specialist equipment needs they may have because of injuries received in the course of their duties.

Mr. Archie Hamilton

Given the demands of service life, individuals are unlikely to remain in the armed forces if their injuries are such that they require specially adapted housing or specialist equipment. Those who are medically discharged because of injuries attributable to service are entitled to the benefits of the armed forces pension scheme and the war pension scheme. Local authorities have the main responsibility for providing any necessary financial assistance to adapt accommodation for disabled people including ex-service personnel who would also be eligible for assistance from the services' charitable organisations.

Back to
Forward to