§ Mr. Redmond
To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security if he will list, by location, his Department's war pensioners offices; and if he will make a statement on each one's future.
§ Mr. Jack
War pensioners' welfare offices are located as follows:
- Scotland—Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Dundee, Glasgow
- North East—Leeds, Sheffield, Newcastle, Middlesbrough
- North West—Preston, Bootle, Manchester
- Midlands—Birmingham, Nottingham
- Wales—Cardiff, Swansea, Wrexham
- South West—Bristol, Newton Abbot
- London, North—Euston, High Wycombe, Norwich
- London, South—Balham, Basingstoke, Brighton, Portsmouth, Tunbridge Wells
- Northern Ireland—Belfast
- Republic of Ireland—Dublin, Cork
A report last year of a routine management inspection of the war pensions welfare service made several recommendations about the location of war pensioners' welfare offices. No decisions have been taken on the recommendations. The welfare service has been incorporated into the new war pensions directorate which is considering whether offices are in the right places to deliver the most efficient service to war pensioners. Any proposals for change which may emerge will be discussed fully with the Central Advisory Committee on War Pensions and local war pensions committees will have an opportunity to comment. The interests of war pensioners and war widows will be safeguarded and we shall ensure that the effectiveness of the welfare service is fully maintained.