HC Deb 24 July 1991 vol 195 cc594-5W
Mr. Amess

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he has any plans to introduce legislation to tighten up the police's powers concerning the control of gipsy encampments.

Mr. Peter Lloyd

Trespass is essentially a matter for the civil law. However, section 39 of the Public Order Act 1986 gives the police powers to deal with aggravated trespass. In announcing his conclusions following a review of this section, Official Report, Vol. 191, column 487, my right hon. Friend the Home Secretary said that the Government had no plans to change the law. But we have issued guidance to the police on its application; a copy is in the Library.

Designation under the Caravan Sites Act 1968 gives local authorities the means to seek quick-acting powers to move on gipsy caravans parked other than on official sites.

Gipsies, like everyone else, are subject to the normal criminal law.