HC Deb 18 July 1991 vol 195 c249W
Mr. Hain

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security whether he will alter the regulations so as to permit a mature student married with children, to claim additional benefits during vacations to supplement the full grant to which he or she is currently restricted and which is their sole income.

Miss Widdecombe

We have no plans to do so. The regulations already provide for students with dependent children or their non-student partners to claim housing benefit or family credit in the long vacation, subject to the normal conditions of entitlement. These rules also apply in term-time and the short vacations. Income support is available to student couples with children in the long vacation and to the non-student partner of a student throughout the year subject to the normal conditions of entitlement.