HC Deb 28 February 1991 vol 186 cc546-7W
Mr. Ieuan Wyn Jones

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what are the current regulations concerning roadside furniture; and whether he has any plans to change them.

Mr. Chope

The current regulations relating to traffic signs on the public highway are the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 1981 (SI 1981/859), as amended, and the Traffic Signs (Speed Limits) Regulations and General Directions 1969 (SI 1969/1487), as amended. It is intended that new regulations combining and updating the two documents will be laid before Parliament later this year.

Powers to provide street lighting and safety fences are contained in the Highways Act 1980. Part VIIA of the same Act provides for the placing on certain classes of highway objects or structures for enhancing the amenity of the highway and its environs, or for providing a service for the benefit of the public. Advertisement displays are subject to the Town and Country Planning (Control of Advertisements) Regulations 1989 (SI 1989/670). Control of parking equipment such as meters and pay and display machines is covered by section 51 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984, as amended. Most other forms of street furniture, such as bus shelters, seats and litter bins are not covered by specific regulations.