HC Deb 14 February 1991 vol 185 c558W
Mr. Cryer

To ask the Secretary of State for Health if he will provide grant aid to local authorities to enable them to improve residential homes for the elderly to meet the statutory requirements laid down by Parliament; and if he will make a statement.

Mrs. Virginia Bottomley

It is for local authorities, having determined their priorities, to make provision from their annual capital guidelines—ACGs—other receipts and transfers from revenue funds for any improvements which they consider necessary to their residential homes for the elderly. For 1991–92, ACGs of £98 million have been issued to local authorities for the personal social services, an increase of £13 million on 1990–91.