HC Deb 19 December 1991 vol 201 c247W
Mr. Andrew Smith

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what are the criteria for the issue of a travel document to a refugee residing in the United Kingdom who has the status of exceptional leave to remain.

Mr. Peter Lloyd

Home Office certificates of identity are issued at the discretion of the Secretary of State and on payment of a fee of £15 to overseas nationals who have exceptional leave to remain in the United Kingdom where it can be shown that normal passport facilities have been refused by the authorities of their country of nationality or where it would be unreasonable to expect them to apply for national passports. A certificate of identity can be used as a travel document if recognised by the country of destination. People recognised as refugees under the terms of the United Nations refugees convention would normally be issued on request with a United Nations travel document.