HC Deb 05 December 1991 vol 200 c204W
Mr. Cousins

To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry what legislation or regulation controls or supervises the use of the term insurance consultant or financial consultant; and what agency is responsible for conducting this supervision.

Mr. Redwood

There is no legislation governing use of these terms. Rules made by the self-regulatory organisations under the Financial Services Act and by the Association of British Insurers code of practice for non-registered general insurance intermediaries require those who use such terms to make their status clear.