§ Mr. David Nicholson
To ask the Secretary of State for Trade and Industry if he will list the technological innovations developed by the United Kingdom telecommunications industry since 1984.
§ Mr. Redwood
I refer my hon. Friend to my reply of 3 December,Official Report, columns 97–98.
The following is a list of some of the areas where there have been innovations by United Kingdom industry in products and services since the privatisation of British Telecom:
- Multi-function telephones
- Cellular and wireless telephony
- Integrated Services Digital Network (ISDN)
- Packet switching
- Slow-scan video
- Wide area radiopaging
- Electronic funds transfer at point of sale (EFTPOS)
- Payphones on aircraft and trains
- Electronic mail
- Voice messaging
- Centrex services