HC Deb 04 December 1991 vol 200 c170W
22. Mr. Colin Shepherd

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment what measures he has now introduced to assist non-metropolitan district councils to fulfil their role as the facilitators of housing.

Mr. Heseltine

Local authorities should assess housing needs in their areas and work with housing associations and the private sector in their role as enablers to help ensure that those needs are met. They have powers, subject to the consent of the Secretary of State, to sell land below market value to provide low-cost housing for sale (including shared ownership sale) and for rent, commonly in return for nomination rights. They may also give grants to private landlords and they may sponsor housing association schemes which then receive grant from the Housing Corporation. We have also encouraged them to use their planning powers to encourage developers to include a proportion of low-cost housing in new developments.

Forward to