HC Deb 04 December 1991 vol 200 cc170-1W
25. Mr. Martlew

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment how many council houses were built by Carlisle city council in the financial year 1990–91.

Mr. Yeo

None. The building of new social housing is now mainly the responsibility of housing associations, and the role of the local authority should be to assess the housing needs of the area and work with housing associations and the private sector to ensure that these needs are met. Carlisle city council is well aware of its enabling role and has secured an increase in Housing Corporation funding for housing association schemes over the next three years.

Forward to