§ Mr. McAvoy
To ask the Minister of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food if he will list the current members of the Meat and Livestock Commission, and give the relevant experience of each member; how many members of the commission are females; and what percentage of the total membership they comprise.
§ Mr. Maclean
The members of the Meat and Livestock Commission and their relevant interests are as follows. There are 13 commissioners, one of whom is a woman. This comprises 8 per cent. of the membership.
- Mr. G. John—Chairman. Has a wide experience of the food industry, is non-executive Chairman of Dairy Crest Ltd. and serves on the Council of Food From Britain.
- Mr. Werner Mattes—Deputy Chairman and founder member of Matteson's Meat Ltd.
- Mrs. E. Rose—Chairman of Consumers' Committee of the MLC. Past Chairman of the Institute of Home Economics.
- Mr. G. Adams—Extensive interests in fresh meat wholesaling, slaughtering and distribution of meat.
- Mr. J. Baker—Joint Managing Director of the Baker Group of companies which includes Midland Meat Packers. A former President of the Federation of Fresh Meat Wholesalers.
- Mr. D. Curry—Hill farmer.
- Mr. A. Mason—Chairman of Buchan Meats a farmer co-operative meat company.
- Mr. Meuric Rees—Farmer.
- Mr. P. Redshaw—Arable and livestock farmer. A member of the NFU Pigs Committee.
- Mr. J. Royan—Retail butcher and past President of the Scottish Federation of Meat Traders.
- Mr. A. Roxburgh—Past President of the Scottish Association of Meat Wholesalers.
- Mr. C. Smith—Meat Trading Director of Tesco Stores Ltd.
- Mr. J. Steer—Managing Director of British Beef Co. Ltd.