§ Mr. Bernie Grant
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether he will list the countries the nationals of which currently need visas or entry clearance to enter the United Kingdom.
§ Mr. Peter Lloyd
The countries whose nationals require visas to enter the United Kingdom are listed in the appendix to the Immigration Rules—HC 356. Nationals of other countries, except European Community member states, require entry clearance to enter the United Kingdom for the following purposes:
- (i) permit-free employment as a minister of religion, missionary or member of a religion; representative of an overseas newspaper, news agency or broadcasting organisation; or sole representative of an overseas firm;
- (ii) as a businessman, self-employed person or person of independent means;
- (iii) as a writer or artist;
- (iv) as a dependant of a person in categories (i) to (iii) above or of a work permit holder;
- (v) as the fiancé(e), spouse or other dependant of a person settled here.