§ Mr. Jacques Arnold
To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department if he will announce the conclusion of his consultations with interested parties about possible changes to the list drawn up for the purposes of section 182 of the Broadcasting Act 1990.
§ Mr. Kenneth Baker
Following consultation with broadcasters, the rights holders of the events concerned, the Sports Council and the Central Council of Physical Recreation I have drawn up a list including eight events. They are:
- 1. Cricket Test matches involving England
- 2. The Derby horse race
- 3. The FIFA World cup finals
- 4. The FA cup final.
- 5. The Grand National horse race
- 6. The Olympic games
- 7. The finals weekend of the Wimbledon tennis championships and any subsequent days if the championship overruns
- 8. Additionally in Scotland, the Scottish FA cup final.
The Commonwealth games when held in the United Kingdom and the Oxford and Cambridge boat race have both been removed from the list, as have all but the finals weekend of the Wimbledon tennis championships.