§ Mr. Redmond
To ask the Secretary of State for Transport what improvement plans are under review for trunk roads, including bypasses for(a) Thursby, (b) Wigton, (c) Egremont and (d) the approaches to Barrow; and if he will show in his answer the estimated (i) cost and (ii) timescale.
§ Mr. Chope
The answers are as follows:
- (a) Thursby bypass was completed in 1987 at a cost of £1.7 million.
- (b) Wigton bypass (estimated cost £64 million); and
- (c) Egremont bypass (estimated cost £10.0 million), are both in preparation and I hope works will start in 1991–92.
- (d) Schemes in the programme for the A590 to Barrow are:
- Ulverston-Dalton bypass (£12.8 million. Next stage—preferred route.
- High and Low Newton bypass (£17.1 million).
- Next stage—publication of draft orders.
- Dalton bypass (£11.7 million). Next stage—tender invitation.