HC Deb 30 October 1990 vol 178 c471W
Mr. Fraser

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment whom he consults before making a decision to list a building under the Town and Country Planning Act.

Mr. Trippier

Section 1(4) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 states that the Secretary of State shall consult English Heritage and such other persons or bodies of persons as appear to him appropriate as having special knowledge of, or interest in, buildings of architectural or historic interest. In the vast majority of cases the Secretary of State does not look beyond English Heritage for advice, but he does take into account views expressed by other organisations and individuals should they make representations on specific cases.