HC Deb 30 October 1990 vol 178 c481W
Mr. Alton

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security if he will make a statement on the benefit entitlement of people whose spouses are held in the Gulf and whose income has ceased.

Mrs. Gillian Shephard

Income support can be paid to those spouses resident in Great Britain who satisfy the normal conditions of entitlement, and who will in consequence be awarded maximum housing benefit and/or community charge benefit. Local authorities can award housing benefit, for help with eligible rents, and community charge benefit to help with their liability for any personal or collective community charge liability. The assessment of these benefits will not take into account any income or assets held in the Gulf that cannot be transferred to the United Kingdom.

Special payments are available to people in Great Britain who cannot get income support because their partners are working in the Gulf but are unable to send money home due to hostilities, if there is financial hardship.

Back to
Forward to