HC Deb 09 May 1990 vol 172 c159W
Mr. O'Brien

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment how many private companies or individuals are involved with building control; and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Chope

[holding answer 4 May 1990]: The National House-building Council Control Services Limited is the only private company authorised under the Building Act 1984 to undertake building control functions as approved inspectors.

Some local authorities use private consultants to assist them in their building control work. No statistics are kept on the number of private companies or individuals involved in such work.