HC Deb 29 March 1990 vol 170 c300W
Mr. Flynn

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security whether community care grants are available to persons moving from long-stay psychiatric hospitals to housing association houses where care staff are provided.

Mr. Scott

Directions and guidance for the award of social fund community care grants appear in the social fund manual, a copy of which is in the Library. The guidance makes it clear that community care grants are intended to promote independent living in the community. In any particular case it will be for the social fund officer to decide whether a move from long-stay hospital care to a home with some provision for care can be regarded as a return to the community. One of the factors taken into account will be the level of care provided.

Forward to