§ Mr. Heathcoat-Amory
[holding answer 13 March 1990]: A number of recent reviews and reports on the relationship between coniferous afforestation and possible acidification of upland soils and waterways have been placed in the Library of the House. They include;
- (i) The United Kingdom Acid Waters Review Group Second Report "Acidity In United Kingdom Freshwaters" December 1988.
- (ii) "Lake Acidification in the United Kingdom" prepared for the Department of the Environment by the Paleoecology Research Unit, University College of London.
- (iii) "Acidification in Scotland" Symposium Proceedings, 8th November 1988, published by the Scottish Development Department, December 1989.
- (iv) "Acid Waters in Wales" by Edwards, Stoner and Gee, Welsh National Rivers Authority, March 1990.
- (v) "Forests and Surface Water Acidification", Forestry Commission Bulletin No. 86, March 1990.
Additional information on this issue is also available from a number of research projects being funded by the NERC, DOE and CEGB.