HC Deb 07 March 1990 vol 168 c719W
Mr. Hannam

To ask the Secretary of State for the Environment if he will make it his policy to take steps to ensure that volunteer care workers providing care for a disabled person who are not employed by a charitable body but by an individual disabled person are not liable to pay the community charge.

Mr. Chope

The current exemption does not require the care worker to be employed by a charitable body. An individual may be exempt if he or she is employed by the person receiving care, provided that he or she has been introduced to that person by a body established for charitable purposes, receives a wage or salary of less than .25 a week, is required to work for at least 24 hours a week and is ordinarily resident in premises provided by or on behalf of the employer for the better performance of his or her duties.