HC Deb 26 June 1990 vol 175 cc137-8W
Ms. Short

To ask the Secretary of State for Social Security what type of assistance would be available to a claimant who, about to start work and unable to manage until they get their first week's wages, approaches a local social security office, as suggested in the revised UB40/UBL18, and if he will make a statement.

Mr. Scott

Since income support is normally paid fortnightly in arrears, an unemployed person has two weeks' benefit on which to manage until he receives his first wage. Nevertheless, if a person runs out of money and there is serious risk to his or his family's health or safety, a crisis loan from the social fund may be made.

Back to
Forward to