HC Deb 21 June 1990 vol 174 c627W
Mr. Barry Field

To ask the Secretary of State for Transport if he will list those independent territories whose driving licences(a) are and (b) are not recognised in the United Kingdom.

Mr. Atkins

Under international agreements, the holder of any valid foreign driving licence is permitted to drive in this country for up to 12 months as a visitor or new resident. In addition, holders of valid licences issued by member states of the European Community and by Australia, Austria, Barbados, Finland, Japan, Kenya, Malta, New Zealand, Norway, Republic of Cyprus, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland, the territory of the British Virgin Islands, the territory of Hong Kong or Zimbabwe may exchange their licences for a United Kingdom licence within 12 months of becoming resident here. Valid Northern Ireland licences may be used indefinitely for driving in Great Britain. Holders of valid Channel Islands and Isle of Man licences may exchange them for United Kingdom licences within 10 years of their date of expiry.