HC Deb 26 July 1990 vol 177 c585W
Mr. Wray

To ask the Secretary of State for Scotland what specialised centres Her Majesty's Government support with public funds for young women sexually abused in(a) Scotland, (b) Edinburgh, (c) Glasgow and (d) Aberdeen.

Mr. Lang

My Department provides core funding in the form of grant assistance under the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968 to a number of voluntary organisations, including Scottish Women's Aid, which support local organisations providing accommodation for women who are the victims of domestic violence and other forms of abuse. Direct funding of local projects in this and other fields of social work is primarily the concern of local authorities; projects in certain urban areas may also be eligible for support under the centrally funded urban programme. No accommodation funded in this way is provided specifically for young women who are sexually abused.