HC Deb 26 July 1990 vol 177 cc462-3W
Mr. Alton

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department what guidelines exist for compensating prisoners whose convictions have been quashed after long periods in gaol.

Mr. John Patten

Statutory provision for compensation for miscarriages of justice is contained in section 133 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988, and in addition a residual ex-gratia scheme exists on the basis of the statement made to the House by my right hon. Friend the then Home Secretary, on 29 November 1985 at columns 689–90. Where the payment of compensation is considered to be justified, a note explaining the procedure for an independent assessor to determine the amount is supplied to the applicant. The applicant or his legal representative will be asked to provide any information they wish the assessor to take into account.