HC Deb 26 July 1990 vol 177 c505W
Mr. Michael

To ask the Secretary of State for Wales what checks authorities are(a) empowered to make and (b) obliged to make in the event of (i) a change of ownership and (ii) a change of management in respect of a private establishment for mentally handicapped people.

Mr. Grist

Change of ownership and management in respect of independent sector homes for people with a mental handicap have to be registered with the appropriate authority which is empowered under section 9 and 25 of the Registered Homes Act 1984 to refuse registration if the new or proposed owner or manager is not considered to be a fit person. Schedule 1 to the Residential Care Homes Regulation 1984 (SI 1984 No. 1345) sets out the information which must be supplied by all applicants for registration. It is the registration authority's responsibility to verify this information and follow up any points of concern.