HC Deb 24 July 1990 vol 177 c148W
Dr. Hampson

To ask the Secretary of State for Education and Science when he expects to announce his decision on the university lecturers' salary negotiations; and if he will make a statement on the time taken to reach this decision.

Mr. MacGregor

My Department has today notified the chairman of committee A of the Universities Academic Salaries Committees that we accept the pay increases recommended for non-clinical academic staff in the committee's 25th report. My Department has also written to the chief executive of the Universities Funding Council to authorise the release of the £20 million held back against the conclusion of a satisfactory pay settlement. I had to consider the 25th report carefully against the criterion which we set for the release of the £20 million—greater flexibility and differentiation in the salary structure. I have made it clear that I shall be looking for greater expansion of the flexibility element within the pay structure in next year's settlement for non-clinical academic staff.