HC Deb 24 July 1990 vol 177 c138W
Mr. John Hughes

To ask the Secretary of State for the Home Department whether a woman European Community student is entitled to bring her husband into the United Kingdom if the husband is not a European Community national.

Mr. Peter Lloyd

[holding answer 23 July 1990]: European Community law confers right of entry upon spouses and certain other family members of nationals of other EC states who are exercising EC treaty rights in this country. If an EC national is receiving a service which is provided as an economic activity then, under EC law, he or she is exercising those rights. This is normally the case where a student is paying for education at a private college, but not where the education is provided as part of the state education system.

Forward to