§ Mr. McNamara
To ask the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland what was the total cost of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive's activities in the last financial year and what figures in respect of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive are available to indicate(a) the dwelling stocks, (b) the collectable rent which should have been received from tenants, (c) expenditure on repairs and maintenance of stock, (d) expenditure on new buildings, (e) expenditure on rehabilitation of stock, (f) expenditure 213W on salaries and administration, (g) expenditure on grants to the private sector, (h) expenditure incurred on interest charges and (i) grant received from the Department of the Environment.
§ Mr. Peter Bottomley
The total cost of the Northern Ireland Housing Executive's activities in the last financial year (1989–90) was £476,310,000.
The detailed information sought is as follows:
- (a) Total housing stock at 31 March 1990 was 169,971
- (b) Rent collectable £169,414,000
- (c) Expenditure on repairs and maintenance £70,139,000
- (d) Expenditure on new building £51,280,000
- (e) Expenditure on rehabilitation of stock £76,606,000
- (f) Expenditure on salaries and administration £46,256,000
- (g) Expenditure on grants to the private sector £36,185,000
- (h) Expenditure incurred on interest charges £170,000,000
- (i) Housing grant from DOE (NI) £157,373,000
Most of the information concerns the executive's revenue expenditure which is financed partly by rental income and partly by a grant (housing grant) from the Department of the Environment Northern Ireland to meet the difference between rental income and approved revenue expenditure.
The executive's capital expenditure includes new build and rehabilitation of existing stock which is financed by borrowing mainly from the Government and by capital receipts from the sale of dwellings, land and mortgage redemptions.